For friends who asked about the recipe for Mum’s Shepherd’s Pie, a recipe I got in 2005 from Robert’s late mother Jean Ward…I uploaded to this post. Enjoy!
When we visited New Zealand in 2005, Robert’s
mum, the late Jean Ward, wrote out her recipe for this and I modified by adding mixed vegetables. It’s easy and yummy!
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
1 ½ pounds Ground Beef (lean)
1 Carrot, peeled and grated
1 ½ cups Mixed Vegetables, thawed
½ Cup Guinness (you may use water, but tastes better with Guinness)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet or other browning sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
3 Medium Idaho Potatoes, peeled, cut, and boiled until done
¼ cup Milk
2 tablespoons Butter
½ tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. White Pepper
4 oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Serves 4-6.
1. Heat olive oil in large sauté pan. Saute onions until transparent.
2. Add beef and sauté until browned.
3. Add grated carrot, mixed vegetables and Guinness. Cook on medium for 5 minutes.
4. Add salt, Kitchen Bouquet and Worcestershire Sauce, mixing well. Take beef mixture off heat.
5. Mash the potatoes with milk, butter and salt.
6. Put meat and vegetable mixture in a glass pie dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top. Make hash marks with a fork. Sprinkle on cheese and then paprika.
7. Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.